Using the Abbreviated Motivational Interviewing Competency Tool:
Self-paced with milestones and scheduled activities. Approximately 2-2.5 hours.
Appropriate for anyone with a foundational knowledge of motivational interviewing.
In this course you will complete an MI skills recording and learn how to use the Abbreviated Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (A-MICA) rating form to rate it. The A-MICA rating form is a practical assessment tool that can be used to help you know where you are on your MI journey and identify areas for growth.
- Making a skills demonstration recording with a standardized patient.
- Learning about the A-MICA rating form.
- Practicing using the A-MICA rating form.
- Completing a knowledge check.
- Listening to your own recording, using the A-MICA form to help you listen for specific aspects of MI.
- Participating in a coaching call to to compare your rating with a coach’s and discuss.
This course can accommodate 12 learners per group.
Contact us for more information about registration.
Demonstrate using the Abbreviated Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment tool to rate MI interactions.
This is an interactive online course. CCMI uses learner-centred, performance-based approaches to adult education. The A-MICA mini course includes learning activities that evoke understanding and build skills. These include a skills demonstration recording, interactive online practice activities, a short quiz to reflect learning and encourage application to practice, and a final coding assignment.
The course takes approximately 1.5-2 hours, and a certificate of attendance is available to learners at the end of the course.
In order to complete this course, learners will need:
- Access to a computer, laptop, or tablet with the capability to watch and listen to videos and audio recordings.
- Internet connection
- Microphone and camera for zoom practice and feedback sessions.
- Up to date browser including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge. The course will not run with Internet Explorer