Motivational Interviewing Beyond Foundations Workshop:
2 days of face-to-face training, followed by 3 hours of video practice and feedback sessions.
Appropriate for a wide range of professionals and peer helpers.
Prerequisite: MI Foundations or equivalent
Prior to the workshop, CCMI facilitates skills demonstration recordings with each participant so that we can assess their current grasp of foundational level MI skills. The 2 day face-to-face builds on foundational skills, delving deeper into the spirit of MI, the four processes of MI and working with people who may not seem ready or interested in making changes. Following the workshop, participants will receive a series of weekly emails with resources and examples, prompting them to practice a specific skill in their interactions that week and then check in with a study partner or team.
This course can accommodate 12 learners per group.
Contact us for more information about registration.
- Describe how to apply the spirit of MI to people living at risk.
- Demonstrate empathetic listening.
- Demonstrate increased depth, complexity and number of reflections.
- Address emotional content in an MI-consistent way.
- Identify and Incorporate a person’s values into a conversation about change.
- Consider strategies for effective communication and engagement
- Describe communication roadblocks
- Demonstrate how to use MI-consistent ways to address communication roadblocks.
- Identify disengagement traps.
- Describe ways to avoid or decrease disengagement traps.
- Guide a conversation to a focus.
- Recognize and respond to subtle change talk.
- Demonstrate how to develop discrepancy between a person’s current and desired situation.
- Transition between processes in a conversation
- Evaluate a peer in an MI conversation and provide specific feedback.
- Consider how to fully integrate MI into daily practice.
This is an interactive skills-based workshop that is designed for participants who want to consider practical applications for their interactions. CCMI uses learner-centred, performance-based approaches to adult education. The MI Beyond the Foundations Workshop includes:
- Learning activities that evoke understanding and build skills.
- Practice activities that increases practical understanding and allow trainers to provide constructive feedback.
- Facilitated discussions about how new skills and knowledge can be applied in learners’ interactions.
Practice and feedback sessions increase the learner’s confidence and increase their ability to apply the concepts, skills, and strategies to practice. These one hour video practice and feedback sessions provide opportunities for participants to practice MI skills in groups of up to 4 with an MI trainer.