Motivational Interviewing Foundations Online Course:
Self-paced with milestones and scheduled group activities. Approximately 14-18 hours.
Appropriate for a wide range of professionals and peer helpers.
This online course focuses on building an understanding of the spirit of MI and developing core skills, including using OARS (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections, and summaries), responding to the way people talk about change, helping people to make Brief Action Plans, and understanding ‘resistance.’
The course can be completed in 14-18 hours, with an 8-week timeline for completion of required activities. The majority of the learning content and activities are self-paced and can be completed individually online with some scheduled virtual interactions with the course trainer and other learners. For 12 weeks after the course, learners receive a series of weekly emails with resources and examples, prompting them to practice a specific skill in their interactions that week and then check in with a study partner or team. Sponsors receive updates on participant progress.
This course can accommodate 12 learners per group.
Contact us for more information about registration.
What learners are saying:
“I definitely took away a lot from this course. I learned many practical strategies and tools that can help me address the various ways ambivalence shows up in my clients. I appreciated the information broken down into easily understandable categories with handouts available for future reference.”
- Define motivational interviewing (MI).
- Describe the spirit of MI and ways to express it.
- Recognize the difference between three styles of helping interactions.
- Contrast MI consistent and inconsistent practices.
- Discuss listening with an uncluttered mind.
- Describe and demonstrate the core skills for MI (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections, and summaries).
- Identify ways to provide information and advice consistent with the spirit of MI.
- Demonstrate ask-tell-ask.
- Recognize change talk and contrast with sustain talk.
- Strategically respond to sustain and change talk.
- Respond to change talk using the core skills for MI.
- Describe the four processes of MI.
- Demonstrate focusing.
- Demonstrate Brief Action Planning.
- Identify contributors to “resistance” and demonstrate MI consistent responses to “resistant patients or complex situations.
- Consider ways to apply skills to practice.
This is an interactive course that is designed for participants who want to consider practical applications to their work. CCMI uses learner-centred, performance-based approaches to adult education. The MI Foundations online course includes:
- Pre and Post skill level comparison via written exercise.
- Learning activities that evoke understanding and build skills. These include interactive online activities, journal assignments, class forum discussions, and short quizzes to reflect learning and encourage application to practice.
- Practice activities that increase practical understanding and allow trainers to provide constructive feedback.
Practice and feedback sessions are intended to increase the learner’s confidence and increase their ability to apply the concepts, skills, and strategies to practice. These include individual and group interactions that are scheduled in advance with multiple scheduling options available.
Up to two 1:1 video practice and feedback sessions with instructor (1-hour total)
Group video practice and feedback sessions with other learners (3 hours total)
The course takes approximately 14-18 hours, and a certificate of completion is provided to learners who finish the course in its entirety:
- Three units of learning content, activities, forums, and journal assignments
- Learning checks
- Minimum 1x 30 minute individual video practice and feedback sessions
- 3x 60 minute group video practice and feedback sessions
In order to complete this course, learners will need:
- Access to a computer, laptop, or tablet with the capability to watch and listen to videos and audio recordings.
- Internet connection
- Microphone and camera for zoom practice and feedback sessions.
- Up to date browser including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge. The course will not run with Internet Explorer