MI Skills Demonstration
30-minute skills demonstration session and 30-minute follow-up coaching call.
Any individual with knowledge of motivational interviewing.
Learning MI is a journey. We all start out at different places and proceed at a pace that works for us. Knowing where you are on your journey, just like knowing where you are on the map, helps you recognize how far you’ve come and consider where you want to go.
MI skills demonstrations are an opportunity to record an interaction with a CCMI trainer acting as a standardized patient/client. This conversation is spontaneous, and the purpose is to demonstrate the breadth and depth of your use of MI skills and strategies.
CCMI will send you the recording for the learner to review using a self-reflection form. The interaction is coded using the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) coding tool. Learners are offered an opportunity to have a debrief session with the coder to receive their results, or they may opt to have their results emailed to them.
For those interested in joining the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers, participating in MI Skills Demonstration with feedback is one element that may be an indicator of experiences the applicant has sought as part of their efforts to acquire competency in MI. MINT currently describes this as “Supervision and Coaching.”
Contact us for more information about registration.
- Demonstrate MI skills and strategies
- Evaluate MI skills using a feedback form
- Consider next steps for MI skill development
In order to complete this course, participants will need:
- Access to a computer, laptop, or tablet with the capability to watch and listen to videos and audio recordings.
- Internet connection
- Microphone and camera for zoom practice and feedback sessions. A headset is recommended.
- Up to date browser including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge. The course will not run with Internet Explorer
The sessions will explore topics that are deeply personal and sometimes private. We recommend that participants have access to a quiet, private room.
CCMI uses the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) developed by Jackson et al, 2015 and updated in 2019 (version 3.0). The MICA was developed to provide a way of monitoring and guiding MI practitioner skill development. It draws on current evidence-informed and evidence-based tools to provide concrete feedback on progress in using MI.
Learners are evaluated for their ability to demonstrate:
- MI Verbal interventions
- Use of MI skills: reflections and questions
- Strategically responding to sustain talk and change talk.
- Indicators of an MI-based conversation (also known as MI Intentions)
- Expressing Empathy
- Supporting Autonomy and Activation
See our CCMI Services page for an overview of all of our offerings and details like prerequisites, duration, and capacity.